Monday, May 25, 2009

COIN then Memorial Day

Last week was spent in many long tedious lectures on CounterInsurgency (COIN) theory and applications to Afghanistan. At the end of the week, we went over personnel recovery as well.
Thankfully we had a 4 day weekend to celebrate Memorial Day. I must say that it increased my morale significantly.





I got to spend time with my favorite people in the whole world. I got to swim, watch movies, nap in the rainy afternoon, play baseball, eat together and I got to see my son get his scouting God and Me award presented in church. It was so good to be home, even if only for a few days.


I also saw some true American patriots in action. The flight crews of several of the flights I took went out of their way to thank those of us who were in the Military for our service. One flight even had a PA announcement and a rousing applause from the passengers. I even observed several citizens give up their first class seats to Military personnel in Uniform. This was a heartwarming gesture that shows just how much the American people appreciate the sacrifices of people like me and my family.


Memorial Day is about the fallen and their families. I distinctly recall the tingly feeling I had one early morning while I visited the American Cemetery in Nettuno Italy. It is the only type of ground we as Americans have ever asked for during all of our Wars and Operations abroad- enough ground to bury the 7,861 war dead from WWII Italian campaign.


Citizens of the USA, we are proudly and humbly your servants. Photo of training team Neptune.

No comments:

Post a Comment