Thursday, August 6, 2009

Class time

Of the various duties I have here in Afghanistan: mentoring, teaching, performing physicals and immunizations, I enjoyed teaching the most this last week.






We have just finished a mission in Konduz. The Afghan and coalition force camps are located near the airport on a plateau. I caught a glimpse of the deep green valley below and even saw a few wispy clouds.






There was a little bit of everything in Konduz. Some rapport was established in a mentoring relationship, many physicals were performed and lots of immunizations were given. We taught about 30 ANP NCO's the basics of the Combat Lifesaver Course in after hours sessions. The lectures were very truncated since they had to be interpreted and therefore took twice as long to go through. Like most of us, they seemed more lively and interested in the hands-on portion where we split into smaller groups and actually practiced bandaging techniques, IV's and so forth. It was a lot of fun and made me use more of my limited Dari in order to communicate. They seemed appreciative of my poor efforts to use their language. I think they liked the IV's and the casualty carry portions of the training the best.






I hope that my new freinds never need to use these skills, but now have the confidence and equipment to perform some lifesaving procedures if called upon to do so.

5 comments:

  1. The Thunder Run has linked to this post in the blog post From the Front: 08/07/2009 News and Personal dispatches from the front and the home front.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoy your posts, but wish you were here:))
    Kathy Hawkins, RN

    ReplyDelete
  3. A little OT, but since you mentioned casualty carry, is it possible to carry an unconscious person on the shoulders of four people, without any additional apparatus? Thanks.

    Paul Hirsch

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kathy,
    I look forward to returning as well. But teaching is fun!
    Paul,
    It is possible but not recommended. I takes a lot of upper body strength to lift someone that high, and even greater four person coordination to hold on to each others shoulders and safely transport a patient. With body armor and a combat load that adds even more weight. I showed the fireman carry to the ANP students since they do not have that protection/hindrance to contend with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the expert opinion on the carry question. Many years ago, I was carried that way by four guys. My friends told me I hallucinated the episode. I didn't and don't think so, though I certainly was mildly concussed at the time. That mode of carry was the one thing I had never seen nor heard of so it is something I doubt I could have internally fabricated. Your post gave me a chance to ask about something I could never find any info on. Thanks.

    Paul Hirsch

    ReplyDelete