Saturday, July 4, 2009

4th of July at the "Commonwealth"


Greetings from Camp "Commonwealth" somewhere in Kuwait.

The 4th of July is a Day of Celebration of the people who are the United States. A people who threw off the shackles of tyrrany. A people who work to allow others in the world to enjoy the freedom and Democracy we sometimes take for granted. I hope you all have a wonderful 4th of July. I hope we won't have any fireworks here though.

After reading my last post, it almost sounded like I was whining. So I would like to point out some of the finer points of Camp "Commonwealth"
1. You are very unlikely to run out of hot water.
2. The Gym is very nice with plenty of good equipment.
3. The chowhall is almost as good as the food I had on a recent cruise.
4. The USO and MWR facilities are nice and adequate to handle all the troops located here.

The only part that I have trouble with is that it is a desolate wasteland of desert. Thankfully the heat is less oppressive and the sandstorm died down enough yesterday evening that the sun and moon were visible.

I also made two discoveries in a breifing yesterday:
1. I will probably only have to go through Kuwait on my return.
2. The Army is going to a cashless gift/debit card type system for all AFFES and post office functions soon. So today I got my Eagle Cash card- so I can buy what consumables I might need for this deployment- soap, wipes, laundry detergent and so forth. I guess this isn't earth shattering news, but it was a suprise to me.

I hope to eventually add some pictures to these last two posts.

Still awaiting arrangements to go into Afghanistan.

No comments:

Post a Comment